Older people are especially vulnerable to loneliness and social isolation, and such a condition can have a serious effect on their health. However, there are ways to overcome loneliness. Here's how you or an elderly you care about can be encouraged to connect with others:
- Use every chance to smile at others or begin a conversation.
- Invite friends and family for tea, lunch, or dinner.
- Keep in touch with everyone by phone.
- Use computers to stay in touch with others.
- Get involved in local community activities.
- Don't wait for people to come and see you, travel to visit them.
- Write your thoughts in your diary.