Tips For The Cold Weather
Cold weather can cause health related problems especially in young children (less than 5 years), elderly people (above 65 years), and people with chronic medical conditions.Here are some tips to prevent the undesirable effects of cold weather on your health:
- Dress in layers: wear suitable winter clothing which includes several light warm layers (instead of one chunk layer), water resistant boots, coats, gloves, hats, and scarves (to reduce body heat loss caused by wind).
- Keep your home warm.
- Make sure the combustion heaters (such as wood and diesel heaters) are properly vented to the outside.
- Never use charcoal or gas heater indoors as they can emit deadly carbon monoxide fumes.
- Eat well balanced meals and have regular hot drinks to keep your energy levels up.
- Avoid going out during cold periods especially if you have respiratory or heat problems.
- Do not ignore shivering when exposed to cold weather as this is a sign that your body is losing heat and you need to return indoors.
- Prepare well for winter storms.
References:"Tips for the Cold Weather." Cold Weather Safety. N.p., 21 Jan. 2014. Web. 29 Nov. 2016.
TCS Wellness Program