Disability is an umbrella term covering impairment activity limitations, and participation restrictions
- An impairment is a problem in body function or structure.
- An activity limitation is a difficulty encountered by an individual in executing a task or action.
- A participation restriction is a problem experienced by an individual in involvement in life situations.
A snapshot of global disability statistics.
- 1 billions+ people live with a form of disability.
- 200millionof these experiences extreme difficult in functioning.
- The prevalence of disability is on the rise. This is leading to aging population and a global increase in chronic health conditions.
- 2/3rds of all the years lived with a disability in low and middle income countries are due to chronic diseases.
Disabilities in children
95 million children (0-14 years old) have a disability.The top 10 most prevalent disabilities in children:
- Down syndrome.
- Autism spectrum disorders.
- Attention deficit disorder.
- Fetal alcohol syndrome.
- Cerebral palsy.
- Emotional and behavioral disorders.
- Central auditory processing disorders.
Inspiring people by profession
1. Stephen hawking:
- Disability motor neuron disease. Almost completely paralyzed.
- Achievement considered the greatest scientist of the 20 Th centuries. Awarded the presidential Medal of Freedom in 2009.
2. Richard Branson:
Entrepreneur and CEO
- Disability: dyslexia. Left school at 16 partially due to his learning disability.
- Achievement: self made billionaires. Founder of virgin group.
3. Stevie Wonder:
Musician, singer and song writer
- Disability: he was born blind.
- Achievement: 30+ U.S. top 10 hits. Has won 24 Grammys. The youngest solo artist to be inducted into the rock and roll hall of fame.
4. Tanni Grey Thompson:
Sports star and disability campaigner
- Disability: Born with spina bifida.
- Achievement: Paralympics and world championship gold medalist. Holder of 30 world records.
5. Sudha Chandra:
Dancer and actress
- Disability: Amputee. Her right leg was removed after an accident.
- Achievement: World famous dancer in Indian classical dance. Bollywood film and TV actress.
References:"World Disability Facts." Tanni Grey-Thompson: Paralympic Star to Disability Rights Champion. N.p., Aug. 2012. Web. 20 Nov. 2016.
"World Disability Facts." Disability and Health. N.p., Nov. 2016. Web. 20 Nov. 2016.
"World Disability Facts." 15 Great and Inspiring People with Disabilities. N.p., 18 Dec. 2013. Web. 20 Nov. 2016.
"World Disability Facts." Top 10 Common Children Disabilities. N.p., 29 July 2014. Web. 20 Nov. 2016.
"World Disability Facts." Richard Branson: Dyslexia Got Me Where I Am Today. N.p., 8 May 2015. Web. 20 Nov. 2016.